Planning a stay in Port Stephens, or perhaps planning a day trip there?Check out my list of the best things to do and see there.
Depending on what sort of adventure you are seeking, there are loads of activities in Port Stephens to partake in, which cater for both the weekender, the mid-weeker and the day tripper.
As I’ve discussed in previous blogs, I am so happy to see life returning back to Port Stephens.
With so many fond childhood memories spent there, it warms the heart to see so many people returning back with their families to explore, spend time together and enjoy what this amazing place has to offer. And there are a lot, believe me.
And the best part about Port Stephens, if you are travelling from Sydney, it’s only three hours away.
Yes, I know, three hours may seem a lot at first, but if you plan the road trip properly, then there are always great spots to stop and take a break, so you aren’t stuck in the car for three hours straight. Especially if you’re travelling with kids.
But it’s worth it, truly. To explore an area which has hardly been touched by over development and not that far from Sydney is simply lovely. As you begin to re-establish your connection with nature and the beauty that is Australia.
We are so lucky in Australia to have some of the best weather ever, and some of the best locations to explore. Sure, there may not be any ancient cities or cultures to explore.
But to wander through the natural parks and see an abundance of wallabies, roos, koalas and even whales and dolphins swimming at the very beach you are swimming at. I mean, it really doesn’t get much better than that.
These are the best activities to do there:
- Quad Bike Riding on the Sand Dunes of Anna Bay
- Camel Riding on the Sand Dunes of Anna Bay
- Snorkelling and Scuba Diving at Shoal Bay and Nelsons Bay
- Dolphin and Whale Watching (between May and November only)
- Nature Walking around Tomaree National Park
- Koala Sanctuary Encounters (opens 26th September)
- Oakvale Wildlife Park (which also features a water park)
For the best places to eat – click here.
These are the best places to stay there:
- Beaches Apartments (Ideal for families)
- Island Leisure Village (Perfect for couples)
- The Anchorage (Luxury stay)
- Samurai Beach Bungalows (Good for couples, but works for small families also)
- Ingenia Holidays One Mile Beach (Ideal for campers, caravans and families – however, they also have great cabins and apartments. This is where we stayed).
- The Oasis at One Mile Beach (Perfect for couples)